[Wine] Noob trying to ./configure Wine source, config.log error

Mason gnivil at gmail.com
Sat May 10 21:32:18 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 19:09 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> gnivler wrote:
> > I've been searching here and at the ubuntu forums and can't seem to find a solution, I think it's pretty simple though.  I've checked for libc6 and libc6-dev and they both appear to be installed, IIRC they fixed a previous ./configure issue I had with some other source.
> >
> > mason at mason-desktop:~/Desktop/wine-1.0-rc1$ ./configure
> > checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> > checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> > checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
> > checking for gcc... gcc -m32
> > checking for C compiler default output file name...
> > configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
> > See `config.log' for more details.
> >
> > All I'm really trying to do it compile the dinput_test file from dlls/dinput/test and I am not very experienced at compiling, likely missed something basic.  What I concluded is that I need to configure from the root of the source before I'll be able to compile the dinput_test, which may be a bad conclusion :)
> >
> > This is the top of the config.log:
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any info, sorry if I left something important out.
> >

> > Code:
> > ## --------- ##
> > ## Platform. ##
> > ## --------- ##
> >
> > hostname = mason-desktop
> > uname -m = x86_64
> > uname -r = 2.6.24-16-generic
> > uname -s = Linux
> > uname -v = #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 12:47:45 UTC 2008
> >
> > /usr/bin/uname -p = unknown
> > /bin/uname -X     = unknown
> >
> > /bin/arch              = unknown
> > /usr/bin/arch -k       = unknown
> > /usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
> > /usr/bin/hostinfo      = unknown
> > /bin/machine           = unknown
> > /usr/bin/oslevel       = unknown
> > /bin/universe          = unknown
> >
> > PATH: /usr/local/sbin
> > PATH: /usr/local/bin
> > PATH: /usr/sbin
> > PATH: /usr/bin
> > PATH: /sbin
> > PATH: /bin
> > PATH: /usr/games
> >

> > ## ----------- ##
> > ## Core tests. ##
> > ## ----------- ##
> >
> > configure:2121: checking build system type
> > configure:2139: result: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> > configure:2161: checking host system type
> > configure:2176: result: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> > configure:2242: checking whether make sets $(MAKE)
> > configure:2263: result: yes
> > configure:2320: checking for gcc
> > configure:2347: result: gcc -m32
> > configure:2585: checking for C compiler version
> > configure:2592: gcc -m32 --version >&5
> > gcc (GCC) 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)
> >
> You need to install 32 bit libraries in order to build Wine.  This is
> discussed in the building Wine on 64 bit Linux instructions in the
> Developer documentation.
>
> James McKenzie

Aha, thank you for the tip.  I had a feeling it was something pretty low
level I had missed.  Just doing the apt-get build-dep wine is giving me
a boatload of stuff, ~52megs compressed 199megs uncompressed.  Small
problem :X

I think I will be ok with these docs now, will post back if I can't sort
it out.