[Wine] i want to change the default /home/user/.wine

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon May 12 11:55:02 CDT 2008

2008/5/12 looki <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:

> id like to have a single wine install wich uses another folder then ~/.wine.
>  so i want it not to share this folder with my common wine installation.
>  any ideas?

You can use any number of different Wine fake-windows folders (.wine
or whatever). In fact, it's a good way to get tricky applications to
work.

Note that you need to fiddle with the command line a bit.

Doing this will set up a separate fake-Windows called .wine2 :

export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine2
wineprefixcreate

You need to make sure your apps inside .wine2 are started with
$WINEPREFIX set to .wine2 .

(An automated version of this is how Crossover does "wine bottles" to
keep apps separated.)

You don't need to do this normally - but when a particular app needs
fiddly settings, or Wine pretending to be a different version of
Windows or something, it's very useful.

- d.