[Wine] i want to change the default /home/user/.wine

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon May 12 16:53:51 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM, looki <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> the program would do it like this
>  WINEPREFIX=./windows ./wine/bin/wine ./folder/aprogram.exe
>  and i only dont know, if this leads to problems with wine, because the . folder might differ for every user.

I think we need a HOWTO for this, it's going to become common.

WINEPREFIX should be an absolute path pointing to a subdirectory
of the user's home directory named after the product, and starting with a dot.

You should put wine into /opt/productname/wine, and your product into

Then put a symlink in /usr/bin pointing to the script in /opt/productname that
starts the app.

Go install Picasa and see how they did it.
Navicat is another app that does this; I don't think they did as nice a job,
but maybe their script is easier to read for starters.  See
- Dan