[Wine] Installing Lightroom CS3

bmemike wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 12 19:01:21 CDT 2008

I decided to try to install Lightroom today and with some very minor tweaks, I had success.

First, I'm running WINE 0.9.59 on Ubuntu Gutsy.

When you try to install Lightroom (v1.4.1), everything seems to go smoothly until the .msi gets called. Then you receive an error stating that you must be running Windows XP in order to install Lightroom.

To correct this, simply browse to ~/.wine/ and edit the system.reg file.

Once there, search for the line that starts with:

Code:
"[Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion]"

A few lines below that, you'll see the line:

Code:
"CurrentVersion"="5.0"

Simply change "5.0" to "5.1" and save your changes. You should now be able to launch the Lightroom installer without issue. Once installed, you can go ahead and change 5.1 back to 5.0 and the prog seems to load up without any issues. The OS version check must be only for installation.

I can import photos without issue, but I can't view any. I just see the basic "placeholder" images (little grey squares) but not the images that I've imported.

So it's far from "usable", but I figured someone would be interested or might be able to tool around with it further to get somewhere useful. I didn't see anything mentioned about Lightroom (I know that Photoshop CS3 is a bigger ticket item), so I just wanted to share. If this is academic, then just ignore me. [/code]