[Wine] Re: Wine support 4core CPU?

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu May 15 20:45:53 CDT 2008

psychok9 wrote:

> vitamin wrote:
> >
> > James McKenzie wrote:
> > > It only uses on core at a time.  There is an issue referencing this.
> >

> > Wrong. [Exclamation]
> >
> > Wine uses everythin available to the system. If your system sees all those 4 cores, then Wine will happily use all those 4 cores.
>

> Great! I want buy 4Core Intel cpu for maximize my WOW performance on Linux and play and relax without drop-down of framerates :)
> I've an 8800 GT and Wine use OpenGL library.

And why do you think it will be faster then 1 or 2 core? You have not asked about game performance. You asked "can Wine use?" - yes it can. But depends.

Wine coded in a way that it can use only one CPU/core for d3d/opengl/GUI at one given time. Besides most games won't benefit from all those extra cores running around. 2 faster CPUs/cores are better then 4 slower ones.