[Wine] Is Wine just as good as CrossOver?

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Mon May 19 04:02:14 CDT 2008

On Monday May 19 2008 08:28:57 fredand44 wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I struggle to run the Game Gun from Wine 1.0.
>
> I manged to do the following with CrossOver.
>
> Through CrossOver 7.0.0 I installed DirectX.

	There is definitely no need to install DirectX. By doing so you add a lot of
garbage to your WINE prefix ("bottle"). WINE (and CrossOver) already have
DirectX implementation.

> Is it possible to di the same with Wine 1.0?

	Short answer - probably yes. Just install latest WINE and try. This is very
simple and doesn't conflict with your CrossOver installation.
	In my personal experience WINE works better than CrossOver in most cases.
This is isn't surprise because CrossOver always based on outdated WINE
version with less features and less bug fixes. However, sometimes because of
regressions older WINE version may work better than latest one (a bug report
should be filed in such cases at http://bugs.winehq.org ).