[Wine] Re: Is Wine just as good as CrossOver?

Dewdman42 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 19 15:51:09 CDT 2008

I am curious about this question also.  I am just getting into OSX for the first time and also Wine for the first time, so please forgive my ignorance here.  I tried out the CrossOver Mac and crossover games trials.  In my case I am not running any games, but rather only some Audio programs.  I found one case where the CrossOver mac product would not run my desired program correctly, but crossover Games did.  The program did not use any DX stuff, so there must be other additional stuff in Crossover games besides DirectX.  I did not really try to install any other runtimes, so maybe Games comes with some runtime that is not in the other version.

Anyway, now I am experimenting with the free version.  Please correct me if i am wrong, but it seems like the free version comes with more stuff and is generally going to be the best one to use, But Crossover includes the nice GUI for managing the bottle(s).  Are there any other differences between Crossover and free Wine?

I notice that when i try to run things with Crossover, I can turn on logging and get very direct logging that tells me exactly which DLL is missing.  I can't figure out how to do that with free Wine, so that could be a big advantage I guess.

What reasons are there for using the commercial version vs. the Free version, aside from the general stability that is promised for supported apps?(none of the apps I want to use are officially supported anyway).