[Wine] Windows Software Install

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri May 23 15:50:21 CDT 2008

2008/5/23 Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca>:

> None.  If you don't run untrusted binaries, there is no reason to keep a virus
> scanner around.

Caution may be advisable, however, given Wine's Windows compatibility
is sufficient to run quite a lot of Windows malware!

I understand Crossover special-case "outlook.exe" to protect against
exploits in it, for example.

Running ClamAV over your .wine folder regularly should be quite
sufficient in most cases. And ClamAV doesn't have the crippling
effects on Linux or Wine that Windows antiviruses do on Windows.

- d.