[Wine] Re: Why is wineprefixcreate deprecated?

Bamm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 25 05:35:21 CDT 2008

Ove Kaaven wrote:
> Perhaps because, presumably, you want that prefix in order to actually do something, like run a program. Then why not just *run* that program already, instead of going through the extra step of manually creating the prefix?

You miss that point of the original post: that situations exist where one would want to create a prefix before running a program. One reason is needing to copy some dlls before running setup.exe, another is some installers need to be run from inside the prefix. People may have their reasons why they would want to modify an environment before running a program there.

I was not confused by the name of wineprefixcreate. I am aware that wineprefixcreate has two purposes: to create and update. Now updating is automatic, wonderful; I won't need wineprefixcreate to update anymore; it was a poor name for it anyway. But to replace a misnomer with another misnomer will not solve the confusion as to what the commands do. Wineprefixcreate is a perfect name for creating prefixes that you would want to modify before you actually do something, like run a program.

For me, the name of a command is just as important as what it does.