[Wine] Why is wineprefixcreate deprecated?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sun May 25 09:06:16 CDT 2008

Bamm wrote:
> Ove Kaaven wrote:
>
>> Perhaps because, presumably, you want that prefix in order to actually do something, like run a program. Then why not just *run* that program already, instead of going through the extra step of manually creating the prefix?
>>

> You miss that point of the original post: that situations exist where one would want to create a prefix before running a program. One reason is needing to copy some dlls before running setup.exe, another is some installers need to be run from inside the prefix. People may have their reasons why they would want to modify an environment before running a program there.

Which programs require this?  Are they listed in the Applications
Database and is there a bug report for each and every one of them?  If
the last two do not exist, don't ever expect them to be fixed and that
is a 'bad thing'.

> For me, the name of a command is just as important as what it does.

As it is for a majority of us.  However, wineboot does sound like it
boots wine.  Maybe that is the program needing to be renamed?  I too was
confused by its name and never would have thought to use it for the
functions it provides.

James McKenzie