[Wine] Install components

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun May 25 12:53:53 CDT 2008

2008/5/25 vitamin <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:
> therock003 wrote:

>> Is it possible to install stuff like frameworks and directx etc?I'm especially interested in the directx part?

> Why would you want to install directx? Wine already has one.

Because Wine's is highly imperfect, and games keep asking for it.

However, the answer is "no, you can't install Microsoft DirectX in
Wine and have it work properly." If something using DirectX 9 doesn't
work in Wine, please file a bug. If you can track down what functions
are missing from the Wine implementation, so much the better.

Frameworks like .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 do install, but don't work all
that well. Mono 1.9 also installs as a substitute for .NET 2.0, and
works better where it works, but Mono 1.9 remains very incomplete
itself (and Novell don't consider missing functions that affect real
apps to be reportable bugs o_0 ). In general, if you need a framework,
try installing it and see if it (a) installs (b) works. If not either,
please file bugs.

- d.