[Wine] First-time wine user, having problems with Direct3D and EE2

Bond Masuda bm007 at cox.net
Sun May 25 10:18:32 CDT 2008

I made some progress, so i thought I'd follow up. But there is still
some issues i'm hoping someone can help me with.

I was finally able to play the game. It turns out that I had to enable
"Emulate Virtual Desktop" in winecfg, which was not on by default. Is
this generally a required setting when running programs that require
Direct3D? (my wine newb-ness shows, i know...)

After getting the game to run, the next issue was sound. A little
googling revealed that wine doesn't get along well with pulseaudio,
which is now the default in Fedora 8. The work around is to use padsp as
a OSS wrapper. Running "padsp winecfg" and selecting the OSS driver,
then running "pasdp wine <path to game exe>" allowed the sound to work.

Now, the remaining issues that i've noticed:

1. Places where punctuation marks (like . : , ) are suppose to be show
up as white rectangles. others have reported to AppDB about this, but
wanted to see if someone more
ledgeable could ellaborate or explain this issue.

2. Units on the map have a strange "dark square" beneath them. I'm
attaching a PNG screenshot that shows what i'm talking about.
Screenshots on AppDB do not show this problem so it was not something i
was expecting. Is there some setting that will make the "dark squares"
go away?

Also in the PNG screenshot, you can see the white rectangles mentioned
in #1 above.

Would appreciate any suggestions.. thanks!