[Wine] windows opening off screen

yaqh wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 26 13:10:06 CDT 2008

Hi,

I'm having problems with windows which open off-screen and are thus inaccessible.  Until recently, I ran my laptop with an external monitor in a dual-screen configuration.  Now, I'm back to a single screen, but some wine apps appear to be trying to start up elsewhere.

So, I can verify that the program is running using ps and xwininfo:

wtipton   6652 26.5  2.3 2662984 36500 ?       Sl   14:04   0:25 /home/wtipton/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/PokerTracker 3/PokerTracker.exe

and

xwininfo: Window id: 0x3600022 "PokerTracker? v3.00 build 2   Database: PokerTra
cker 3 Database"

  Absolute upper-left X:  -1050
  Absolute upper-left Y:  158
  Relative upper-left X:  -1050
  Relative upper-left Y:  158
  Width: 804
  Height: 585
  Depth: 24
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x2400001 (not installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsUnMapped
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +-1050+158  -1526+158  -1526-281  +-1050-281
  -geometry 804x585+-1050+158

and notice that the window coordinates given by xwininfo are negative.

Warnings given by wine are:

warn:win:create_window_handle error 6 creating window
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
etc

After the app starts up, I can move the window onto the screen using wmctrl or xwit, but it seems as though it's too late.  The app has already failed, and it's just a frozen window.

Any ideas?

Thanks