[Wine] running 16 bit real mode executables on mac

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Mon May 26 17:49:25 CDT 2008

spectrum wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> first of all congratulation to all the wine stuff for the great job.
>
> I was trying to run some old 16 bit executables using wine (darwine) for mac, but from what i understand darwine is still not able to execute those exe.
>
> On Linux, doing
>
> wine TASM.EXE
>
> works fine,
>
> under mac, typing the same command (but using darwine) i get
> fixme:module:wine_load_dos_exe DOS executables not supported on this platform
> winevdm: can't exec 'Z:\Users\spectrum\bcc\rtm.exe': invalid program file
>
> i was wandering if this feature would be implemented in the future, and if exist some alternative.
I don't know if there is an effort to implement DOS support under the
Mac.  I know that the Darwine folks are not working on this and the
people (including myself) who do Darwine builds are not.
>  I think i cannot use dosbox, since i need to invoke "wine tasm.exe" from some gnu makefiles.

What are you building?  If you are building a DOS executable, then
dosbox should serve the purpose.

James McKenzie