[Wine] Panzer General 2 - Railroad Tycoon 2

dabido65 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Nov 1 09:19:51 CDT 2008

My apologies for being a total Wine NOOB.

I've been trying to get anything to work on Wine (with little success).

Panzer General II is supposed to be rated as Gold.  I can get it to load fine.  It starts, and I can even get to the start of a scenario/campaign.  The main problem is it doesn't load the maps or anything into the map area.

I ran winedbg and got this:

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f848,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_Release (0x133f20) Device released with resources still bound, acceptable but unexpected
fixme:d3d:dumpResources Leftover resource 0x13c9d8 with type 1,WINED3DRTYPE_SURFACE

I'm using Fedora 9 (Sulphur) and an  nVidia 8500GT graphics card.  My xorg.conf file looks like this:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# keyboard added by rhpxl
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	ModelName    "LCD Panel 1360x768"
	HorizSync    31.5 - 48.0
	VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "nv"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
		Modes    "800x600"
	EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     8
                Modes    "800x600"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     32
        EndSubSection

EndSection

Railroad Tycoon 2 is also supposed to run fine in Wine.
It loads fine, and when I go to run it, it gets past the intro and the main page opens, but the cursor cannot interact with anything (ie I can't click on Single Player, or any other button).  I also have to TAB out of the game by keeping another program open (else I have to reboot the program as the entire machine just stops except I can still move the cursor).  Once I've tabbed out of the game I can then close it from the taskbar.

Running winedbg gave me this output:
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33eb2c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8

Very similar to the other output.

Have been through everything I could find that mentions similar outputs.  Most say it is fixed using an nVidia driver (which I have) as it's an ATI bug.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
David