[Wine] Re: Porting Windows app to Linux: How to access Linux devices?

chrislpnt wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Nov 2 19:59:26 CST 2008

> First of all what are you trying to archive?

The application's GUI uses Borland's VCL library so that it can't be easily ported natively. I have tested this part under Wine, though, and it runs fine. If all the I/O the application required was usual, Wine-supported stuff (file and network access, etc.) I would be done here and could use the same binary. However, some of the I/O has to come from a driver that is not supported in Wine. The hardware works perfectly under Linux but obviously has a different API than in Windows. So, I have two elements:

- Windows GUI code running under Wine
- Linux drivers resp. modules supporting my hardware. They can be used via IOCTL and network socket calls.

I am trying to "marry" these two and am looking for the best method. Certainly the cleanest way would be to write a device driver for Wine but I was wondering if there was an easier way to interface to the Linux host from a Windows application running under Wine.