[Wine] Bringing Vista's Speech Recognition Engine to Linux via Wine

Sam wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Nov 3 10:30:40 CST 2008

I have RSI (hurty hands) and need software for recognition of continuous speech.

Linux has nothing workable.  Dragon was bad even on Windows.

What's needed is a Linux speech engine, so that the linux crew can get making a good GUI.

So I'm trying to bring over the Vista Speech Engine.  Here's my (failed) attempt: http://womblezone.blogspot.com/

I'm trying to bring it over with the GUI (Speech Assistant).  Idea being if that works, it's proof the engine's ported correctly.  Well it's not working.

regsvr32 c:/windows/system32/Speech/SpeechUX/SpeechUX.dll

This fails.  with the following error:

wine: Call from 0x4b4775ab to unimplemented function USER32.dll.ChangeWindowMessageFilter, aborting

I'm stymmied.  I looked up this function on MSDN and it looks like a whole subsystem that isn't implemented.  Tomorrow I will try compiling a 'hello world' style speechapp from the WindowsSDK and see if I can port that.  But I think this venture is beyond me.

Please please please lend a hand!  This is such valuable work!  I want to use Linux _so_ much, but I will cripple myself if I continue typing like this.

Sam