[Wine] Bringing Vista's Speech Recognition Engine to Linux via Wine

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 3 14:44:43 CST 2008

>Sam wrote:
>> So I'm trying to bring over the Vista Speech Engine.
>
>This won't work. It relies on lots of unimplemented stuff. And you'll have to have vista to use it. So what's the point?
>Use Dragon it's working on Wine even better then on windoze.

Look at the various versions of Dragon that run under wine. So far the gold standard seems to be either DNS 7.3, which is VERY fast and available cheaply because it is obsolete, and DNS 9.0 preferred, which is slightly slower and lots more accurate.
DNS 10 Standard is a GREAT program and it's what I use, but it has one annoying bug that makes it crash every once in a while. You may wish to wait for that bug to be fixed.
DNS runs very fast and very accurately on Linux for continuous speech recognition into Notepad. It's head and shoulders above anything else. It's even faster on Ubuntu's real-time kernel, but that kernel itself has bugs, so I wouldn't try it right away with Intrepid. (OK if you have Hardy.)
I understand your wanting to use the Vista speech recognition, because you probably got that free with a copy of Windoze, and DNS costs extra money, but it's not the way to go on Linux.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2077