[Wine] Broken D3D?

Sevarai wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Nov 8 13:43:48 CST 2008

Hi guys.  I've got a bit of a problem that I can't quite figure out and I've not been able to find anything useful in relation to this issue.  I've searched through these forums and on google, etc.. and have found nothing so far that has helped.  My problem is with Fallout 3, which I know isn't quite working entirely yet anyway.  It won't even start, but should according to the appdb entries.

Here's the error I receive when running "wine fallout3.exe"

> fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps OpenGL implementation supports 32 vertex samplers and 32 total samplers
> fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps Expected vertex samplers + MAX_TEXTURES(=8) > combined_samplers
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f60c,0x00000000), stub!
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_R16F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_R32F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_A32B32G32R32F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_R16F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_R32F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_A32B32G32R32F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_R16F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_R32F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_A32B32G32R32F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_R16F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_R32F
> err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_A32B32G32R32F

I get this same error when trying to start Warhammer Online as well.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 and using an Nvidia 8800 GTS and have tried wine 1.1.7 and 1.1.8 both packaged and compiled from source.   The first time through compiling them, I noticed after ./configure that I was missing opengl header files so I went back and installed libgl1-mesa-dev and that seemed to fix the issue, but still no luck on getting anywhere past this error message.  I have tried reinstalling DX9 via winecfg and with the August 08 redistributable.

I'm just a little bit lost about where to go from here.  I have a feeling that this is something very simple, I just can't put a finger on it.  I know that the newest Xorg doesn't rely on xorg.conf anymore, but is DRI support required?  The nvidia driver is loaded and the control panel shows that everything's working as normal.  I can post something else here if it would help.

Any ideas?  Thanks!