[Wine] Re: How does Wine simulates Windows presence?

fafner wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Nov 9 03:05:37 CST 2008

vitamin wrote:
> Wine does emulate DOS interrupt calls.

In fact, that's how Wine manages to make the interrupts calls available to the application that interests me. In the "old days", one would directly write in the vector table located at address 0, or call the BIOS interrupt with the "change interrupt address" function if my memory serves me well. I know the former doesn't work in virtual address space (program crashes at the exact location of dereferencing a NULL pointer by accident is a good enough proof for me, not to mention no address mapped at 0 in the map table). And for using BIOS interrupts in a modern operating system, the one that allows direct access to hard/floppy disks sectors... I didn't even took my chance :-P

> However windows apps don't use any interrupt calls.

So my assumption was wrong :-D I would be curious about how the Windows APIs manage to communicate with the kernel though, but that's only curiosity.