[Wine] Cannot install Visual C++ version 6.0 (VC6)

resander wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Nov 9 13:49:11 CST 2008

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and Wine 1.1.8 and installed VC6 from a folder VC6 copied from the installation CD.

I clicked the setup.exe file in the VC6 folder and the first page of the VC6 installation wizard showed, but when I clicked 'Next' the install failed with message:

"ken at ken-desktop:~/Desktop/VC6$ wine setup.exe
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x411799 (thread 0009), starting debugger..."

Before trying 1.1.8, I used Wine 1.0.1 and it failed with the same message.

I Googled and found that the install failure was reported as a bug 2006, but the Wine application database shows that people have successully installed and used VC6 from Wine 1.1,5 (but not on Ubuntu).

I didn't have any luck installing though, so would be grateful for advice.

P.S.  I have successfully installed and used other Windows apps, some very heavily GUI-laden with animation and sound, so the basic Wine install is working both with 1.0.1 and 1.1.8.