[Wine] WoW - WotLK - install is a hassle :(

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Thu Nov 13 00:30:25 CST 2008

Very disappointing on the install so far. The files are on the disk in
some format that is only letting me see two of the 'some number more
than two' files that are there. One of the files I can see is and
Install.exe but it does nothing when double clicked, nothing when I
right click and select 'Open with "Wine Windows Program Loader"'. When I
try to run it from a console I get:
wine: could not load L"D:\\Installer.exe": Module not found

It will not let me cut/paste/copy either of the two files it shows into
my wine directory to try to run them from there. It does not show all of
the necessary files to copy the data from the disk to the hard drive and
run the install from there.

Right now it looks like I will be forced to network a Windows computer,
copy the files to that hard drive, then copy them across the network to
my Linux computer.

This is a huge and frustrating back step for Linux compatibility
compared to the Burning Crusade expansion. When BC can out I came home
from the store, put the disk in, double clicked install and was logged
in and playing less than 20 minutes later. WotLK has so far has been an
hour since I put the disk in and I am no close to playing than I was
before I left for the store. Other disks in this drive and everything
else on my computer work fine so I am assuming this is a problem with
Wrath and not just my machine.

I will continue to look for solutions while the files copy to to and
from a windows machine and will post again if/when I get it running in
case I find anything useful to someone else. I am expecting the game
itself to play fine once it's installed.

Tricia