[Wine] Compiled Wine with two errors - Are they Important?

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Fri Nov 14 00:08:23 CST 2008

On Thursday November 13 2008 22:56:02 xtrchessreal wrote:
> I am new to linux, well almost.
>

> I found all of the recommended dev files from the Wine HQ recommendations
> for the Debian distro then followed the directions in the readme file that
> came with the source download.
>
> the ./configure
>       make depend
>       make
>
> commands appeared to work but I have a couple errors I don't know how to
> interpret.  I checked the previous Wine install for the version and it
> still shows 0.9.25 in the dialog>about tab.

	It is better practice to use command wine --version. Also you probably want
to uninstall binary package if you have it installed before installing from
source. And of course you have to run sudo make install to install from source
(but only after successful compilation).
	If you don't want install Wine compiled by yourself you may run Wine without
installation directly from its source directory (for example by
typing "./wine" without quotes assuming you are at the root of Wine source).

> Here are the last few lines of the compile report from the root terminal:
>
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/x/Downloads/wine101/wine-1.0.1/dlls/dinput/tests' make[2]: *** No
> targets.  Stop.
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/x/Downloads/wine101/wine-1.0.1/dlls/dinput/tests' make[1]: ***
> [dinput/tests] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/x/Downloads/wine101/wine-1.0.1/dlls'
> make: *** [dlls] Error 2
> Gobbles-debian:/home/x/Downloads/wine101/wine-1.0.1#
>
> How should I proceed?  Are these two errors critical to the compile?

	You didn't include actual error (lookup for first error - it probably will
help you find the source of the problem).
	Also make sure to run configure --verbose and satisfy all dependencies before
compiling.
	If still doesn't work feel free to ask for further assistance but don't
forget to include first compilation error and everything after it.

	P.S. Personally I recommend to use Wine 1.1.8. It contains a lot of
improvements and bug fixes.