[Wine] Problems with Norwegian characters in filenames

Lars Erik Kolden lars.erik.kolden at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 04:10:58 CST 2008

Hi,

I am trying to install a Norwegian teaching application (Mathematics)
on an Ubuntu 8.04.1 client installation. As horrible as it may seem,
the developers of this app has decided to use Norwegian characters in
filenames, which wine obviously isn't very happy with. When installing
the app I don't get any error messages about the files, but when I try
to start the app itself, it complains about files missing. All the
files it reports as missing are ones with Norwegian characters, and
when I search for them, I can't find them. All other directories
(mathematical subjects), without Norwegian characters, exist. Could
this be a case of misconfigured locale or something as simple as that?
Locale on this computers looks like this:

LANG=nn_NO.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="nn_NO.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I'm grateful for any suggestions troubleshooting this. And thanks to
the developers of this great app  (wine, that is) :-)

PS: I also have a problem with the application in question not seeing
javascript as enabled in gecko, if anyone has a quick fix for that...