[Wine] wine fails to run with: "KERNEL32.DLL" failed to initialize

ggking7 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Nov 18 02:02:31 CST 2008

I'm use Gentoo and I've tried wine-1.1.4 as well as the latest version from git.  No matter which wine command I try, the error is always just about the same:

# winecfg
err:heap:HEAP_GetPtr Invalid heap (nil)!
err:heap:HEAP_GetPtr Invalid heap (nil)!
err:module:attach_process_dlls "KERNEL32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\wineboot.exe" failed, status c0000005
err:heap:HEAP_GetPtr Invalid heap (nil)!
err:heap:HEAP_GetPtr Invalid heap (nil)!
err:module:attach_process_dlls "KERNEL32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe" failed, status c0000005

I've tried deleting .wine and I've tried running as a normal user and as root with the same results.  Does anyone know how to fix this?