[Wine] Re: Using third-party dlls

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Nov 19 19:24:39 CST 2008

morrow0233 wrote:
> I am in the process of trying to port a Windows library to Linux (maybe also to Mac, but let's not get ahead of ourselves).  The existing library is essentially a facade layer to a number of third-party dlls (mostly COM-based, although one is .NET-based) over which I have no control.  These third-party dlls have no UI of their own.  Their purpose is to allow access to proprietary data formats.
>
> So, what are my options here?

Wine is not some API layer it's an environment that replicates windows (registry, kernel, file system, etc).

Because your dlls are not simple API but COM (which most likely involves OLE) the only option you have - run your program under Wine.
You can't just "magically" talk to a dll that requires huge infrastructure.

As far as your .net "dll" - if it can run under Mono that would be your best option.