[Wine] dll files

almigi wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Nov 19 19:31:12 CST 2008

I'm a recent convert to the Linux lifestyle, and I would like to get to a point where I rarely, if ever, have to boot into Windows on my machine.  While I'm not a huge gamer, I do enjoy Final Fantasy XI.  I would like to get it to run under Linux/Wine.  According to the information from the AppDB, the only way to get FFXI working under Wine is to have a copy of the dxdiagn.dll from Windows XP.

That's fine, however, I don't have XP.  My computer is ralatively new and came with Vista preinstalled.  However, before I ask one of my Windows XP useing friends to send me a copy of their dxdiagn.dll file, I was wondering if I could just use the dxdiagn.dll file that is part of my Vista install?

Is the file the same in both versions of Windows, or do I really need to get the XP version if this is gonna work?