[Wine] Re: A Couple of problems with Wine

Tlarhices wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Nov 20 19:26:54 CST 2008

axept wrote:

> 1: Adobe Photoshop Elements 7
>
> When I try to install this, it shut down when it should be starting install files, after serial input and folder selection.. I get this in consol:
>

> Code:
> [axept at localhost pse7]$ wine setup.exe
> fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"axept" (nil) 0x33f8dc (nil) 0x33f8e0 0x33f8d4 - stub
> fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"axept" 0x12f448 0x33f8dc 0x12e818 0x33f8e0 0x33f8d4 -stub
> err:msi:ACTION_CallDllFunction Custom action (L"C:\\windows\\temp\\msi16b8.tmp":L"ExtractXHTML") caused a page fault: c0000005
> fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_GetKeyboardLayout couldn't return keyboard layout for thread 0019
> fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x4140414, 0000: stub!
> fixme:shdocvw:PersistStorage_InitNew (0x7e6c80)->(0x9f64e8)
> err:msi:msi_dialog_bitmap_control Failed to load bitmap (null)
> err:msi:msi_dialog_bitmap_control Failed to load bitmap (null)
> err:msi:msi_dialog_bitmap_control Failed to load bitmap (null)
> err:msi:ACTION_CallDllFunction Custom action (L"C:\\windows\\temp\\msi4b3c.tmp":L"CleanXHTML")caused a page fault: c0000005
> err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.
> [axept at localhost pse7]$
>

> Anyone who knows whats wrong ?

I have just tried with the trial version, it installed perfectly on a clean wineprefix with wine 1.0 and with wine wine-1.1.8-183-g70088c4 (not latest git, but not too old either), it also ran without any problem after the installation. I didn't use it much but for what I tried (used the library thing, applied some filters on my pictures, "draw" a little bit) it was working.

Note : While writting the next part of this message I have seen that sometimes the "organize" part of elements freeze upon loading.
If it happen, type in a terminal:

Code:
wineserver -k

And restart, only happend to me twice uppon a lot of crash testing loads.

You can try downloading and installing the trial version on a clean wine prefix and then registering it with your key.

Sorry it is a little long (I am in verbose mode this morning ;D) but hope this help.

Procedure of installation, download the trial version from adobe servers:

Code:
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/?promoid=DJDWS

After the download is finished, you will need to extract the installer, cd in the folder where you have downloaded the file and run:

Code:
wine PSE7_WIN_TB_WWF.exe

It next a few times, it will extract the installer and ask you if you want to run it. Let it run it, the installer will then start after a few seconds, hit next a few more times, it will throw a huge list of warnings in the terminal but don't care about it, then it will freeze for some time, it's OK just go take a coffee when you are back it tells you everything is installed.
Then run it : (those 2 commands are for a default wine prefix and default installation path)

Code:
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Adobe/Photoshop\ Elements\ 7.0
wine Photoshop\ Elements\ 7.0.exe

It will throw lots of warning in the terminals, but they are not important, then click on any button on the top of the screen (organize / edit / create / share), the current window will close, lots of warning will come up in the terminal and after some time (and lots of messages in the terminal) the actual software will run.

1) Try with the registred version:
It will ask you if you want to enter your key or use the trial version, try the trial first (so in case of a crash, we will know if it comes from the application (this try) or the registration process (the next one)) use the library, load a picture, apply some filters, draw a little and restart.

2) Try with the registration:
I have no key, so I can't try this part.
I think the "edit" part of photoshop elements is better for this test because it throw far less messages in the terminal (makes it easier to see where it crashes for us)
When it asks you to enter your key or try the free version, go it the terminal, press few time the enter key and type anything funny you will remember (yes really anything, if nothing comes in mind, try "popolipopo", try to avoid any linux commands) it will tell you "bash : something funny you did enter : unknown command" (it is OK, it is just a mark for yourself) then go back to photoshop elements, enter your key and register.

Then :
A) If it works go to the appDB, create a report for photoshop elements and say that you are happy and explain how to install it (do it also here for further reference) (you can forget the step 1 if it is not useful and the "type something funny" part)

B) If it crashes, copy anything in the terminal starting from the funny things you enter in it (so the huge quantity of useless warning messages appearing before doesn't overload this page) on this page and we will try to see what we can do.