[Wine] Re: Acer Aspire Photographer in need of expert help

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Nov 22 13:11:47 CST 2008

Wine is for running Windows programs under Linux. If your camera came with software to read this file format, it may run under Wine. The only way to know for sure is to try it and see.

You will have to install Wine first. There are no binary packages for Linpus; you could try the Fedora packages, as Linpus is based on Fedora. You may have to compile from source. If you make it that far, install the Canon software the same way you would in Windows.

As for native Linux apps, UFRaw is supposed to be able to read .cr2 files. http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/ has binary packages for Fedora, and, of course, source.

As to how to install packages in Linpus, I don't have a clue, because I don't use Linpus. Linux distributions (distros) vary widely in the tools they use to install and configure things. Normally I would tell you to consult your distro's support forum, but as far as I can tell, there is none for Linpus. Your distro is one of those highly-customized "user-friendly" netbook versions of Linux that was never intended to be modified by the user. Used as installed, they are indeed very easy, but lacking proper documentation and user support, they are much harder to customize than mainstream distros. This is the reason you were given the advice to install Ubuntu, which is one of the more user-friendly mainstream distros, with very active support forums.

The bottom line is that I don't see any way for you to do any of this in Linux without learning the basics. If you are unwilling to do that, the only other suggestion I can make is to go back to XP.