[Wine] Re: What's the problem with my wine install?

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Nov 24 23:09:13 CST 2008

Vincent Povirk wrote:
> vitamin: Where is the documentation of this? What, specifically, are
> the filesystem limitations in Wubi that make Wine not function
> properly, and how can you observe them in a real app?
>
> This should be on the download page and in the FAQ.
>
> The only specific filesystem-related issue I know of is that Steam
> does not run from ntfs, and 8.10 should have a new enough kernel that
> it shouldn't matter (according to the note on the appdb page, and
> assuming the same issue affects Wubi somehow).

My understanding of Wubi was that it's using NTFS directly. If it creates ext3 out of a loopback device then it should work fine.

Of course same restrictions apply to running applications directly from windows partition no matter Wubi or not : http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-497f1a295d53dd3444f211df2b13312c7767afa2

jammanuser, since you having problems installing Wine - you are asking in the wrong place. It's the problem with your OS, package manager or Wine binary package. Neither of those covered on this forum.