[Wine] Re: What's the problem with my wine install?

jammanuser wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Nov 25 13:10:18 CST 2008

James Mckenzie wrote:
> jammanuser <wineforum-user at winehq.org> at Nov 25, 2008 10:02 AM (MST) wrote about Re: What's the problem with my wine install?
>

> > vitamin wrote:

> > > I'm not sure what you trying to say? The above warning applies to real windows' c: drive regardless of the file system.
> > >

> > exactly!!! the warning does not even mention the file system, so that's why i don't understand why >u would use a statement like that to back up a claim that Wine does not work on NTFS file >system!!!
> >

> Simple.  Wine developed and configured for Linux will not work with NTFS for a varity of reasons.  What this means is that you CANNOT install Wine on a NTFS partition and expect it to work.  You MUST install it to a LINUX EXT3 partition.  Now, here is the problem as I see it:  Wubi actually creates an ext3 partition as a hidden file on your NTFS partition.  Wine will install to the ext3 parition, but you will not be able to WRITE to the NTFS partition.  You must install all applications to the pseudo-C: partition that Wine creates in order to run them.  Sorry, but that is the way that this works, for now.  Do not blame Wine as the problem appears to be the way that the NTFS Linux drivers work.  Also, it is true that you SHOULD not map your existing C: drive to be the C: drive under Wine, it will not work.  HOWEVER, after you install your applications to Wine you MAY attempt to map your Vista C:\Program Files directory to another drive letter, but this is not warrantied to work or do anything other than mess up your Wine installation.  So, what do you do:
> 1.  Install Wine to your Linux partition.
> 2.  Install all the applications you want to use to Wine's C:\Program Files directory which exists on the Linux partition.
> 3.  Run your applications from Wine's C:\ directory.  Linux has problems executing programs from a NTFS partition, even Linux applications.
> 4.  Save data as applicable.
>
> (Isn't this in the FAQ?)
>
> James McKenzie

so what ur saying basically, then, is that Wine DOES work on a wubi install, since it creates an ext3 partition, on which wine would be installed??? only when i install apps, i should install them on the hidden ext3 partition, rather than the NTFS, or my programs wont work? well...that makes sense!! why would i try to install them on the NTFS partition anyway, since i would be in ubuntu when installing them under Wine, which would probably put them automatically in the ext3 partition???