[Wine] What's the problem with my wine install?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 25 13:22:12 CST 2008

jammanuser <wineforum-user at winehq.org> at Nov 25, 2008 12:10 PM (MST) wrote about [Wine]  Re: What's the problem with my wine install?

>James Mckenzie wrote:
>> jammanuser <wineforum-user at winehq.org> at Nov 25, 2008 10:02 AM (MST) wrote about Re: What's the problem with my wine install?
[Trimmed content to what is needed for reply]

>>  So, what do you do:
>> 1.  Install Wine to your Linux partition.
>> 2.  Install all the applications you want to use to Wine's C:\Program Files directory which exists on the Linux partition.
>> 3.  Run your applications from Wine's C:\ directory.  Linux has problems executing programs from a NTFS partition, even Linux applications.
>> 4.  Save data as applicable.
>>
>> (Isn't this in the FAQ?)
>>
>> James McKenzie
>

>so what ur saying basically, then, is that Wine DOES work on a wubi install, since it creates an >ext3 partition, on which wine would be installed???
It should.  That was stated a long time ago.  Vitamin may have assumed that you were trying to install to the NTFS partition and not the EXT3 parition.
>only when i install apps, i should install them on the hidden ext3 partition, rather than the NTFS, >or my programs wont work? well...that makes sense!! why would i try to install them on the NTFS >partition anyway, since i would be in ubuntu when installing them under Wine, which would probably >put them automatically in the ext3 partition???

I make no assumptions.  Insure that programs are installed to Wine's C:\Program Files area when installing.  I've read here of people having problems with installing programs and the cause was installation to a NTFS partition.

You should be fine at this point.  Try what others and I suggested and let us know if it works.

James McKenzie