[Wine] MS-SQL Connection Problem

Daniel Kasak daniel.kasak at 247realmedia.com
Wed Nov 26 16:57:49 CST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 22:29 -0600, shanku wrote:

> Hi, im trying to access a MSSQL server (in a windows machine in the
>  network) from a Visual Basic Application running under wine, using an
>  ODBC driver. Since there arent any MSSQL drivers for linux i decided
>  to use de native ones, so i installed mdac_typ.exe . Then i configured
>  the DSN using odbcad32.exe but when i tested the connection
>  (configured using tcp/ip) an error message appeared
>
> Connection failed:
> SQLState: '01000'
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets] ConnectionOpen(Connect())
> Connection failed:
> SQLState: '08001'
> SQL Server Error: 17
> Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets] Specified SQL
> server not found.
>
> Has anyone been able to connect to a MSSQL server remotely using odbc under wine??

I've had *limited* success with wine and ODBC drivers. At one point ( a
long time back ) I had MyODBC ( 3.51.11 ) and SQL Server drivers
working. For SQL Server, you have to use password authentication ( not
'trusted connection' ).

Your error sounds like the driver can't convert the server name into an
IP address. Are you able to resolve it? Have you tried with an IP
address instead ( or adding the server name to /etc/hosts )?

Dan