[Wine] Halo

Scott wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Nov 27 00:53:05 CST 2008

I have a strange problem in Halo where the mouse seem to run many times slower than the framerate. Even when the framerate is decent the mouse is choppy for lack of a better word. It's sort of a strange motion I can't really describe, sticky and halting, but it does seem to be related to the framerate in that that faster it is,the faster the mouse is. I have heard of a mouse warping bug but I have turned warping on and off using a registry tweak I found. It has an obvious effect but neither way does it correct or even seem to affect this problem.

The mouse does smooth out and act normay if I turn off dinput or dinput8. I can't remember which one it is, but If I do that then the range of motion decreases greatly and the mouse is for all intents and purposes useless.

This is the only real problem I have with Halo other than that is that  the framerate itself is quite slower than in Windows dropping below 20 in various area when I am by myself on a map and even 10 or even lower if I run a vehicle. Other times it can go as high as vsync which is 85. In windows for the short time I tested it, it pegged at 85 much of the time and also runs 60s and 70s. I think the lowest I saw was a 57 though I ran no vehicles.

If anyone has any ideas about how to fix the game up so the mouse works right, and even increase the framerate if at all possible I would greatly appreciate it. Sine I followed an online tutorial for installing DirectX 9 all of a sudden a bunch of games have started to work and frankly I am stunned at the quality and capabilities of this program.