[Wine] Civilization 2 Install Problem

Darragh Bailey felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Fri Nov 28 09:03:51 CST 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 01:39:43AM -0600, Ajak wrote:
> The install is an .exe which must be run in windows, but the actual program requires DOS support.
>
> Should I install a windows version of dosbox in wine and then run dosbox in wine and have my windows dosbox run the .exe?
>
> And yes, Linux dosbox cant run it.
If dosbox can't run it under linux, they what makes you think the
windows version will run it any better? DOSBox emulates the CPU, GFX and
sound chips in order for programs run under it to think they have full
access to the hardware.

If you can get the installer to run under wine, then if it really is a
dos program you could copy the files to another directory and access
them with DOSBox on linux.

I doubt that it is a true dos program though, since the game was
originally released in 96, I would imagine it probably requires windows
95. So it would have remnants of requiring DOS, but would still need
parts of the windows api.

You didn't mention if you were using the original or the re-released
version for Windows ME/XP from 2002.

btw, did you check the appdb?
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=628

It doesn't look too promising if that version of it doesn't work.

--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."