[Wine] A plethora of problems related to crashes and drawing in AOM

Ron wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 28 13:55:56 CST 2008

A plethora of problems related to crashes and drawing in the game Age of Mythology Gold. A few of these problems didn't exist in earlier versions of wine. I haven't filed any of these as bug reports but wanted to put what I did find here so I wouldn't lose it.

You need mfc42.dll in your System32 directory and you need AOM Gold NoCD patch 1.03 English (aomx.exe) to be able to play this game. I was using the latest version of wine as of Nov 28, 2008: 1.1.9. I'm also using Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid.

> #1 richedit text does not appear in EULA with Age Of Mythology Gold right after installation:
>
> $ wine aomx.exe
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ebb08c45-6c4a-4fdc-ae53-4eb8c4c7db8e} not registered
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {ebb08c45-6c4a-4fdc-ae53-4eb8c4c7db8e} could be created for context 0x1
> err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet ReadStyleSheet: skipping sounoptional destination
> err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet ReadStyleSheet: skipping optional destination
> err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet ReadStyleSheet: skipping optional destination
> err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet ReadStyleSheet: skipping optional destination
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ebb08c45-6c4a-4fdc-ae53-4eb8c4c7db8e} not registered
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {ebb08c45-6c4a-4fdc-ae53-4eb8c4c7db8e} could be created for context 0x1
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ebb08c45-6c4a-4fdc-ae53-4eb8c4c7db8e} not registered
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {ebb08c45-6c4a-4fdc-ae53-4eb8c4c7db8e} could be created for context 0x1
>
> #2 Clicking on a window to bring it over the EULA will generate the following:
>
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ebb08c45-6c4a-4fdc-ae53-4eb8c4c7db8e} not registered
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {ebb08c45-6c4a-4fdc-ae53-4eb8c4c7db8e} could be created for context 0x1
>
> #3 Sound works fine during Microsoft Games intro and prior intro, but the AOM Gold Intro movie directly before the AOM Menu and all the sounds after it, are very choppy when using ALSA. OSS was much better but every now and then during cinematic scenarios, at the end of each person's dialogue it would glitch slightly.
>
> #4 Using Alt + Tab to minimize or bring up a window on top of AOM Gold will generate:
>
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ebb08c45-6c4a-4fdc-ae53-4eb8c4c7db8e} not registered
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {ebb08c45-6c4a-4fdc-ae53-4eb8c4c7db8e} could be created for context 0x1
>
> #5 Cannot play in Window mode:
>
> I selected Play in Window in the settings. Hit OK and it was still in full screen. Went back to the settings and changed the resolution to the smallest one. Again, it was in full screen mode.
>
> #6 Gradient missing:
>
> AOM does show visited and unvisited areas properly but there is not any gradient texture from visited to unvisited like under Windows.
>
> #7 Related to gradient:
>
> New uncovered land isn't smooth, it goes by block. If one block on the grid has been touched with the smallest amount of the line of sight of an ally or yourself it will uncover the entire block rather than just the area where the line of sight touched. Objects, however, will only appear when the line of sight touches them, working as they should.

> [...]

Screen shots:

#6, #7 No gradual change from covered to uncovered land (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aomgoldnogradualchangefhu3.png)
#7 Line of sight (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aomgolduncoverlandgradiuy5.png) - no object
#7 Line of sight (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aomgolduncoverlandbug2snf6.png) - objects
#10 Marker doesn't show when right clicking objects (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aomgoldmarkerdoesnotshomk8.png)
#12 Waves coming from land (http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aomgoldwavescomefromlannp6.png)
#13 No light to dark difference (http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aomgoldnolighttodarkarefv2.png) - look at minimap light to dark and then look at the actual map
#14 Water is drawn strangely (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aomgoldwaterisdrawnstraym8.png)
#14 Water is fixed? #14 randomly fixes itself (http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aomgoldwaterbugrandomlyal5.png)
Is this how AOM characters are supposed to appear? (http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aomgoldnormalmr6.png) - no bug reference

A previous bug report I did file was concerning the text drawn in straight lines. That bug is fixed. :)

I will file all the bug reports immediately. I already filed the AOM Gold crashing bug a while back. Hopefully someone can fix these issues and make wine just that much better. :)

~Ron