[Wine] Re: Using Linux Virtual Midi with WINE does not work

ggoode.sa wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Nov 30 10:24:46 CST 2008

Hi Peter and all who follow this thread,

I have wineasio working. Wineasio is NOT the problem - pleased forget wineasio.

I don't have the Virtual Midi Ports provided by the snd-virmidi kernel module working.

To create the virtual midi ports do 'modprobe snd-virmidi index=1'. Configure WINE to use ALSA. Install MIDI-OX in WINE. Configure MIDI-OX to accept MIDI signals from the 1st virtual midi port and Map the input through to the 2nd virtual midi port. Link the 1st virtual midi port to your MIDI keyboard using aconnect. Start Qsynth in Linux and configure input from the 2nd virtual midi port. Play notes. Nothing. Link MIDI keyboard straight to Qsynth, play notes - sound plays.

Conclusion - snd-virmid driver does not work in WINE, OR, snd-virmidi is not correctly set up for WINE to use.

Which one is correct?

Graham