[Wine] Re: running command line apps without X-Windows

integerpoet wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Oct 9 17:02:19 CDT 2008

vitamin wrote:
> If these programs (and the API they call) don't need to create window to function, then you can run them on x-less setup (xorg library is still required). But if these programs (or API they call) create a single window then you have to run them within valid X session.

Given what I know of Windows programming, my bet would be that even a compiler would might well need a hidden "window" in order to have it listen for some message or other. Even this might be acceptable as long as I can invoke the compiler as if it were a native command-line app. (I don't think I would need piping or redirection.) Any chance of that?