[Wine] application doesnt start at startup when run via WINE !

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Wed Oct 15 00:01:40 CDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Darragh Bailey
<felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:30:52AM -0500, noble_curious wrote:
>> Have I asked irrelevent question?  :(
>>

> You need to look more closely at how services are run by linux.

<snip>
> 3) wine normally requires use of X as mentioned by other people, which
> means that it will fail to run if the desktop is not up yet. Also you
> shouldn't run a process that requires X as a service.
>
> Basically services in linux are completely background and do not require
> a desktop, services in windows generally rely on the explorer process to
> be running, which requires a graphical desktop. It is only since windows
> server 2008 that this has changed.

Services, as in the things managed by services.msc need specific
permission to interact with the desktop and, if required by another
service (and startup mode is manual), or the startup mode is
automatic, are loaded after bootup and before login, typically running
under an account such as SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE and NETWORK SERVICE
(IIRC in decreasing order of permissions)

Explorer is only started after login..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327618
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_service