[Wine] Testing for Windows malware under Wine

Daniel Kasak daniel.kasak at 247realmedia.com
Thu Oct 16 23:14:20 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 22:51 -0500, MikeF wrote:

> After using Linux for some time, I realized that this might be another good use for wine.
>
> I've been seeing the commercials for PC SpeedScan by Ascentive and have
>  even been asked about it by non-techie friends. Since my Ubuntu system
>  isn't real mission critical, I decided to throw caution to the winds
>  and installed the 'product'.
>
> One behavior of malware is that it purposely does not uninstall cleanly
>  or at all. Sure enough, the wine uninstaller could not remove any of
>  the Ascentive crap. Just for grins, I installed CCleaner and Revo
>  Uninstaller - they could remove evidence from the wine Uninstall
>  dialog but the app menus still remain. Looks like apt-get autoremove
>  wine, install wine, here we come.

Locate and delete ( or rename ) your wine profile folder ( ie ~/.wine ).
Everything that you install *should* be confined to this, unless you
specifically set up links between wine and the rest of your filesystem.
Note that when I delete my .wine folder and run wineconf, it sets up a
'Z:' drive which points to my root ( / ) folder, so in theory something
could write to Z:/home/dkasak/ and put stuff elsewhere, but it's pretty
unlikely.

> Has anyone else tried this?
> Any hints for removing orphan menus?

Use gnome's menu editor ( sorry, the name escapes me, and I'm running
'gnome-light' at the moment ). Or alternatively use a gconf2 editor.

Dan