[Wine] Re: Having trouble updating

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Oct 17 08:50:08 CDT 2008

MagicMaster87 wrote:
> So today, I decided to update to 1.1.6, but I have no idea what to do with those .tar.bz2 files.  Instead, I decided to try out the alternate instructions for the Git Tree.  When I type this command, however...
>
> git diff-index -p HEAD > total-1.1.6.diff
>
> ...I get a "fatal: not a git repository" error.  So I go to try the CVS commands.  This one seems to work fine, but when I check my version again by typing "wine --version" I still get 1.0.
>
> Is there something really obvious I'm missing here?

You have installed binary version of Wine (already precompiled). The "tar.bz2" you talking about is the source code. You can't use it as-is. It needs to be compiled first.

GIT is a "source control system" Wine uses. You can't use it and the tarball (that .tar.bz2 file) together.

If you use tarball - you need to extract it first

Code:

cd ~
tar xjf wine-1.1.6.tar.bz2

Then compile it: