[Wine] NVIDIA OR ATI

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 19:50:40 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Daniel Kasak
<daniel.kasak at 247realmedia.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 18:33 -0500, Austin English wrote:
>
>> That said, I like to support companies that support open source, but
>> for some things, such as graphics drivers, performance is more
>> important than principle.
>
> Sure. If you've got unlimited funds and are willing to compromise your
> principles.
>
> My example with my nVidia here at work could be easily solved by buying
> a newer nVidia card. But I don't want to buy a card just to use at work.
> And my work isn't interested in buying me a new video card ( nor should
> they be ). It's not so much that I need compiz and bling etc, but just a
> decent performing 2D driver. My only option soon will be to stick with
> distros such as Gentoo ( I just moved to Sabayon for this reason
> precisely ) where I can blacklist recent software such as xserver-1.5.
> Ubuntu, Fedora, etc have already gone with xserver-1.5 ( in beta
> releases ) and there are a LOT of people with old nVidia hardware that
> won't be able to move to these new releases.
>
> On my laptop ( which is my only computer apart from my server ), I can't
> update the video card, so long-term viability is far more important.
>
> So anyway, I agree if you must have maximum 3D gaming performance right
> now, then nVidia is the way to go. But the OP didn't even say what they
> were doing with their PC, and I think a more responsible way to go would
> be to future-proof their system somewhat, while still maintaining decent
> performance for everyday use. I don't think gaming via wine is 'everyday
> use' for a Linux user, but I may be wrong.
>
> Dan

I worded it poorly, but essentially, if you're worried about which
video card to use with Wine, you're more than likely interested in
games. In which case, performance is more important than principle.

I personally have an Nvidia FX 5200, but no plans to upgrade, as the
only game I play is Morrowind, which works fine. If I were to upgrade,
I probably would choose ATI, to support their endeavor, not because
their performance would sway me.

Of course, it's the OP's choice, but keep in mind, the person who
wants to run Office with Wine probably isn't worried about their video
card...

--
-Austin