[Wine] Wine 1.1.7 and 1.0.1 not working on Intrepid 64 bit

nanonils wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Oct 26 00:28:47 CDT 2008

I posted this on Ubuntuforums but after reading a bit more it seems this is mostly used for gaming questions so I decided to come here.

I am running 64 bit Ubuntu intrepid (still a beta but a release candidate). I can see Wine in my application menu but when I go to Programs/Acessories/Notepad nothing happens. I am unable to open the configuration nor am I able to uninstall using the Applications menu option.

I had Picasa installed. Upon searching around (how on earth do I get Google desktop to also search my file system, not just my home folder?) I found that Picasa has a Wine folder here: /opt/google/picasa/3.0

I uninstalled and installed 1.0.1, the stable version twice from the repositories using Synaptics without change - still not able to configure Wine. I then added the development packages of Wine to my software sources as described here, updated and reinstalled: http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

Still no luck. I'm really lost here. Wine works OK on two other computers we have.

When I use my system monitor to check for what processes open when I click e.g. notepad, notepad and wineserver show for a second but then vanish.

Removing Picasa does not change a thing. After repeat install of Wine it still doesn't work. I'm totally lost. Why doesn't a fresh install via Synaptics fix it? When I now search for wine I find a large directory here: /usr/lib32/wine

If I run winecfg from the console I get:
laptop:~$ winecfg
err:module:import_dll Library rpcrt4.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\services.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\services.exe" failed, status c0000135
err:wineboot:start_services_process Unexpected termination of services.exe - exit code -1073741515
err:module:import_dll Library rpcrt4.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\ole32.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library ole32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe" failed, status c0000135
nils at nils-laptop:~$ winecfg