[Wine] Re: How to install Wine-1.1.7 on Ubuntu 7.10

Justterrible wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Oct 28 02:07:57 CDT 2008

Thank you. That worked - It's downloading it again :(

I should state that as a Windows user migrating to Linux, and getting Wine 1.1.7 off a respectable download site (APC) and already having the uncompressed folder on my desktop, I found it very frustrating to just try to get it to compile, which failed anyway because the compiler couldn't create exe files! LOL

Trying to find a 'How To Install Wine' on this site turned up almost nothing useable. The 'Readme' file in the package was not helpful (it told me to use the DOS 'Run' command to install wineinstall instead of the bash command.)

So if you guys have any links that can point me to worked examples of basic Linux operation from the viewpoint of an experienced Windows user, then I'd be grateful.

Otherwise, maybe someone should re-write the readme file or maybe add a link to it for first time installers.

I don't want to depend on internet style package managers to install apps. I have dial-up only and I can get lots of Linux stuff of CD etc.
If Ubuntu is so hard to work with, then what distribution should I get to enable me to install off-line software?

Thanks for listening to my rant.