[Wine] All games, black screen = configuration problem?

Irrlicht wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Oct 28 16:28:56 CDT 2008

Dear community,

I am wondering what is my mistake. Since I got my new hardware components I didn't manage it to get a game running through WINE. My configuration is the following:

- current git WINE (compiled 30 minutes ago)
- Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid AMD64 (64 bit edt.)
- AMD ATi Radeon HD 2600XT graphics card
- ATI Catalyst / fglrx driver

A friend gave me his copy of Far Cry 2 and Sacred 2 (both games brand new) to try an installation in wine (That's what I always try before I even think of buying a game). After all both installations run through smoothly, and only minor changes are necessary to start the game. (few directx dlls etc.)

Far Cry only shows me a black screen, but I can hear the game/intro sound clearly.

Sacred 2 shows the "sacred-intro" with major lags in sound and screen update. After it's done the game is still lagging, but the game sound is more stable. But I again only see a black screen...

I remember when I used the same hardware with older wine (1.1.4?) and installed Sacred 1 (old version) I got the same behaviour. So I assume there's a problem with my configuration... It's really annoying, and now I decided to ask you here for help.

Thanks for your comments!

Cheers,
Daniel