[Wine] Re: Big test coming up: fallout 3

Tlarhices wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Oct 29 01:06:16 CDT 2008

dayosh wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas?  Also, by "fresh wine," do you mean fresh install, or just fresh window?  Apologies for my n00b-dom.

By "fresh wine" he meant with an empty wineprefix.
To have an empty wineprefix, you can :
- remove the ~/.wine folder (It will erase everything installed in wine)
- rename the ~/.wine folder (Like the previous one, but you can put it back by changing the name back)
- using wineprefix (See here : http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-f2f5f3bc795247f11962ea613a1f9e15657ad552 but you will need the WINEPREFIX="something" every time you want to use wine or winetricks to access this installation)

Each time we install something in wine (as an exe, through winetricks, ...), it sometimes install services and dlls making wine unstable and by restarting from 0, you are sure to be in the most stable environment wine can provide you.

So, prepare a "fresh" wine, install vcrun2005, install the msi file and then install fallout.