[Wine] Removing pulseaudio affects startup / shutdown in Intrepid

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 29 10:51:55 CDT 2008

>Susan Cragin wrote:
>> I use Intrepid Studio, and have all updates as of today (29-Oct).
>> As of a few days ago, my distro does not shut down or start cleanly. It is because I have removed pulseaudio.
>> The same thing happens on shutdown when I have pulseaudio stopped with pactl exit.
>> Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the workaround when using wine?
>> pasuspender wine application.exe ??
>> Thanks.
>> Susan
>
>You should report that to Ubuntu bugzilla as a major problem. Not having some sound server running shouldn't prevent you from starting / shutting down.

Thank you for this and have done as you suggested. I didn't think it was a bug--thought it was another pulseaudio "improvement" that wine would just have to work around.
Found that several people have reported similar pulseaudio scripting problems, including startup / shutdown / suspend and problems running applications (including wine and Skype) that run better without pulseaudio. Also found that pasuspender is probably broken.