[Wine] Disabling mouse tracking when X11 focus leaves wine?

laut wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Sep 2 08:11:33 CDT 2008

Hello all,

I was very pleased to find that Age of Empires II works so well in wine.

Now, one hobby of mine is to create custom AI scripts for the game (see www.aiscripters.com for examples), and let different scripts (mine and other people's) play against each other, mostly unattended.

The problem is, that the running AoEII game still tracks the position of the mouse
pointer whenever I move the mouse (and focus) away from the wine window.
The game view then scrolls to show just one black corner of the map
which is not very informative or entertaining.

Therefore, in this use case, I'd prefer to let the pointer position to be reported
to the game "as a constant" (preferably the center of the wine window)
while the focus is away from the game.

Can this be done without tweaking wine source code, for example
with some X window manager (btw. I use fvwm) mechanism,
or by some already existing wine configuration means?

Or, if tweaking of wine code is needed... I'm no X11 guru but
started to educate myself by compiling both wine 1.0 and 1.1.3...
but noticed that there's quite a lot of stuff to delve in there ...

So I'd be grateful if anyone knowledgeable could evaluate this whole idea
and maybe jump-start me a bit by pointing me to the right source files?

Or, in your opinion, does such functionality belong elsewhere -- like in the
window manager -- rather than in wine?

Or, could my configuration be somehow erratic and this out-of-focus
"mouse tracking" doesn't happen anywhere else?

--laut