[Wine] Re: Slow performance with many 3D games

mrspoon wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 3 09:58:20 CDT 2008

vitamin wrote:

> Wine will always have bigger overhead in CPU just because it has to "convert" all the d3d into OpenGL. Which requires lots of extra operations such as state tracking that are not present on windows.

That may be so, but we should still do some research to work out which parts of the Wine D3D code give the most overhead, in case there's some fat we can trim off.  There may be some translations that are correct but grossly inefficient, and we need to find ways of working that out.  The developers are naturally more interested in correctness at the moment.

As an aside, I can't believe we're talking about performance tuning Wine for games!  The progress the Wine coders have made in recent years is incredible, such that we have the luxury of grousing about optimisation rather than bugs.  :D

Rob