[Wine] Difficulty with Sound in Games w/Wine

genesis wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 3 19:43:08 CDT 2008

Hello, and thank you to anybody who helps me figure this out.

Ubuntu 8.04
Wine 1.1.3
(Not certain what sound card I have)

When running Diablo 2 and WoW, I'm getting little or no sound.
(No, I don't have pulseaudio installed)
With Diablo 2, I hear and see the title movies, (I.E., the blizzard logos), but in the actual game, I get no sound at all.

When running WoW, I get no sound at any point throughout the process.

Other than sound, the games appear to run acceptably well.
I have tried toggling the OSS/ALSA usage, and driver emulation with WoW. And I have never had any other problems with my sound, in general.

Wine has impressed me very much so far, and I cannot thank enough the people who spend time maintaining such a wonderful resource to the open source community.